Red diesel has two grades BS 2869 – Class A2 or Class D. It has many other names including: gas oil, cherry juice, cherry red, agricultural diesel, 35 seconds, medium diesel, tractor diesel, digger fuel, marine diesel, generator diesel and rebated kerosene.
At the Budget 2020, the Government announced the decision to remove the entitlement to use red diesel from most sectors, including construction, from April 2022 to help meet its targets in reducing its contributions to global warming by 2050. In the Finance Bill 2021, the legislative mentions again the changes directed to restrict the use of red diesel from April 2022.
Red diesel is mainly used for off-road purposes in construction, such as bulldozers and cranes. The tax changes will ensure that fuel users in the construction industry will be taxed at the standard rate incentivising red diesel users to improve their energy efficiency of their vehicles and machinery, invest in greener alternatives or just to simply consume less fuel.
Tax relief for red diesel is still maintained for agriculture, rail and domestic heating – for the moment!
As a result, storage tanks must be emptied and flushed out ahead of the deadline to avoid forfeiture and penalties. Enforcement inspectors need to clearly tell the difference between illegal red diesel and standard diesel.
It’s important as you make the changes that you contact specialists to project manage this task.
* UPLIFT remaining content from your bulk tank and belly tank.
* CLEAN your bulk tank to remove any residue chemical markers (dye) which is designed to remain in fuel tanks and pipes.
* FLUSH through your fuel lines and belly tank.
* REMOVE all washing and waste from your site to mitigate risk and damage to the environment that could arise from the unsupervised and uncompliant disposal of red diesel.
As your trusted specialists, we also can provide further risk mitigating steps, such as:
- Testing and inspection of your assets
- Once the fuel has been uplifted and your tank is clean, it provides you the perfect opportunity to have your tank and pipework fully tested for compliancy. We will check for leaks, or structural failures that could result in a major accident on-site.
- Non Destructive Testing (NDT)
- NDT is another form of testing the integrity of your tank.
- Supplying fuel
- We can supply you fuel, enabling you to have one less thing to worry about and the change from red to white diesel seamless!
- Providing you with temporary back-up generator and tank solutions
- We know what’s important to you and down-time is never an option.
All our solutions enable you to be fully compliant for the mandatory changes and mitigates the risks associated. We are at the forefront of fuel asset management and will support you every step of the way!
Talk to our team today: